What We Do
Orangewood Foundation programs help current and former foster youth develop and achieve their educational goals, from high school to college to graduate school. Orangewood Foundation helps foster and community youth develop and achieve their educational goals. Our programs include our Samueli Academy charter high school, scholarships for college and graduate school, and education-related workshops. During the last year, we:
- Added a new class of ninth graders to Samueli Academy, bringing the total student body to 375 students.
- Saw tremendous success in Samueli Academy student engagement and academic success: a 97% average daily attendance rate and 53% of students who made the honor roll
- Provided $696,000 in college scholarships to 260 students. 48 of our college students graduated.
- Awarded $79,000 in Advanced Studies* scholarships to 15 former foster youth pursuing advanced degrees. Six graduated or completed their programs.
- Held 12 education-related workshops on topics such as time management, study skills, vocational training options, and goal setting and prioritizing; providing 897 hours of instruction to 155 youth.