The Lighthouse program for survivors of sex trafficking
Sex trafficking – women and children being sold for sex – is a growing problem in the United States, in California, and here in Orange County. Human traffickers prey on young women and girls who have been abused or neglected, who have been victims of violent crimes or who have run away from their home.
Sex Trafficking Statistics:
- Of the 225 Orange County human trafficking victims assisted in 2015, 174 or 77% were victims of sex trafficking.
- Of the 174 sex trafficking victims:
- 98% were female
- 73% were adults and 27% were minors
- 88% were US citizens
- 67% were new victims
- Based on that, on average 9-10 new victims per month were identified and assisted in Orange County alone
About The Lighthouse:
The Lighthouse is a program for survivors of sex trafficking in Orange County. This residential program helps them return to a healthy and productive life. The Lighthouse is staffed 24/7 by Orangewood employees who have the experience and training to understand this unique population and offer specialized, individualized support. Similar to our current transitional housing programs, The Lighthouse is more than just a place to live. It is a place for survivors to heal and begin to create a new life for themselves.
If you are interested in learning more about sex trafficking in Orange County and Orangewood’s residential program for survivors of sex trafficking, please join us for a free community forum. They are held on the second Monday of every month from 6:30-8:00 P.M. The content repeats each month.
**Click on a date below to register. Please note: Given the sensitive nature of the topic, we request that all guests be age 16 and older. **
- Monday, February 12, 2018: Registration for tonight’s forum is now closed, but walk-ins are welcome.
- Monday, March 12, 2018: Click HERE to register.
- Monday, April 9, 2018: Click HERE to register.
- Monday, May 14, 2018: Click HERE to register.
Location: Orangewood Foundation, 1575 E. 17th St., Santa Ana CA 92705; phone (714) 619-0200
For questions about referring young women to the program, please contact Polly Williams, Site Supervisor, at (714) 236-5925.
Please note: We do not have volunteers opportunities at The Lighthouse due to the sensitive nature of what the women have experienced in their pasts. If you’d like to volunteer for Orangewood in other ways, please click here to be redirected to our Volunteer page.